Blog 359 — Honouring Margaret and Our Wedding Vows

Making Sure Margaret Could Die

Written 12 September 2026

Covid lockdowns had started when Margaret had her 70th birthday on 29 March 2020. Cafés and restaurants were closed, but Audrey had a caravan and offered coffee and cake beside Glenelg Beach. This photo shows Margaret and her then best friend, Ann Ryan, drooling over the chocolate cake.

 

* * *

At about 3.00 am on a Tuesday in August 2023, I had to make a terrible choice.

Margaret was still alive because the machines would not let her body die.

The doctors said there was no hope; there was nothing more they could do.

Did I want the machines to keep Margaret alive? They could keep her body going, but the pain would never go away and she would never be able to really live again.

What did I want to do?

I gave the order.

Turn off the machines.

Let my wife die in peace.

Margaret was dead by 3.16.

I had honoured my wedding vows.

I wished I was dead, not her.

* * *

In an earlier blog, I wrote about the marriage vows that no one ever heard Margaret and me make.

What we promised each other were standard promises really, but with the difference that we never deviated from them – not once. 

I promised Margaret, I would never leave her.  She promised me she would never leave me.  Now Margaret was not leaving me but she was dying.  To keep my promise, I had to help her die.

In another blog, I wrote about the agreement I reached with God during my open-heart surgery.

God agreed to let me keep living.

I was permitted to be there and to support Margaret throughout the terrible events that were about to happen.

I accepted that my gift of additional life would be a life of great hardship.

The journey from that open-heart surgery to Margaret's death should have been impossible, but I was determined to honour my wedding vows.

And I did.

Walk with me for part of that journey.

* * *

Margaret on 22 January 2023. In November 2022, the doctors thought Margaret would be dead in three months at the latest.

Immunotherapy was available, but at a cost we could not pay. When the oncologist persuaded the drug company to provide it free of charge, we were overjoyed.

By this date Margaret had received three immunotherapy treatments. Although she was so ill and so thin, she never lost her sense of humour. The T-shirt says “I am a Nurse. I stab people and I know Things”.

* * *

Margaret wore the same T-shirt for her fourth immunotherapy treatment on 24 January 2023. The treatment had to be stopped after the seventh session on 28 March 2023. The immunotherapy caused terrible diarrhoea, and her bowels were in danger of exploding.

* * *

Shortly after the immunotherapy was stopped, Margaret's legs began to swell up like tree trunks. Soon they began to weep fluid; usually, but not always, the fluid was clear rather than blood. I became expert at changing the bandages on her legs as they quickly became saturated.

* * *

Margaret in A & E at Ashford Hospital on 19 June 2023. Her legs were in a terrible state. I did not know what to do that day except keep trying to get medical help. On this occasion, Margaret nearly died from atrial fibrillation, but there was “no room at the inn”. When I refused to take her anywhere else, Margaret was eventually admitted.

* * *

Margaret's left leg on 25 June 2023. There had been a slight improvement in her legs by that date, but they still wept continuously and looked even worse in life than they do in this photograph. My sense of smell had long since gone. I could no longer smell her legs rotting.

* * *

Margaret was taken by ambulance to the Royal Adelaide Hospital on Friday 7 July 2023. Her death was unstoppable. I reluctantly left her in the Cancer Ward; it was well after midnight on the Saturday.

* * *

On Monday 10 July, I held Margaret's hand as pain tried to destroy her body. She rated the pain as 50 out of 10. I thought she was understating it. I was convinced she would die in my arms.

But Margaret did not die that day.

* * *

The hospital discussions all centred on how and where Margaret preferred to die.

Margaret had been born at Calvary Hospital, North Adelaide.

She had trained as a nurse at Calvary Hospital, and Calvary had a world-class hospice: the Mary Potter Hospice.

* * *

Margaret insisted she would die at Calvary Hospital.

* * *

On Wednesday 12 July, Margaret was taken by ambulance to the Mary Potter Hospice.

She was supposed to die there. She did not.

Scans taken on Monday 17 July revealed the impossible.

Margaret's cancer had completely vanished.

Margaret immediately started getting better.

* * *

The hospital discussions now centred on where Margaret wanted to go for her rehabilitation.

I drove Margaret to Griffith Rehabilitation Hospital on Sunday 6 August 2023.

* * *

By Wednesday 16 August, Griffith Rehabilitation Hospital had done all it could.

Margaret was discharged; she was fit enough to go home.

I drove her home.

We no longer needed ambulances to transport her anywhere.

* * *

For five days we were a couple who had a future.

I started cooking proper meals again.  Margaret started to eat again – not much, but she resumed eating.  We even talked about having a holiday in South Australia’s Riverland. 

On the Sunday I discovered a phone number for the volunteers who had made the quilt Margaret had been given when she entered Mary Potter.  Margaret rang the number.  The woman who made her quilt was overseas but Margaret could call her in three weeks when she got home. 

Later, I thought being granted those five days was so cruel.  I wondered why we had been allowed to believe we could have a future together.

But I was wrong.  The five days were a huge, completely unexpected blessing.

For five days we were able to live like normal people.

* * *

How could we know the five days were not a new beginning but the end?

* * *

On the morning of Monday 21 August, I could barely rouse Margaret as she lay in bed. I assumed it was probably the painkillers, and drove her to see one of her doctors. The doctor wanted to hospitalise her immediately. Ashford Hospital said admission could happen, but not before 4.00 pm that day.

When Margaret continued to deteriorate, I rang an ambulance.

The ambulance crew was wonderful, but they could not find any hospital that could see Margaret.

We waited in the ambulance outside Ashford for three hours, desperately hoping for a miracle.

There was no miracle.

From 4.30 pm until 6.30 pm, Margaret lay on a trolley in A & E at Ashford Hospital, until finally one of the overworked doctors was able to see her.

* * *

I knew by then it was too late.

* * *

I was asked the unavoidable question in the Intensive Care Unit at about 3.00 am on Tuesday 22 August 2023.

I had asked Margaret what she wanted me to do if she ever arrived at this terrible place. Her wishes had been unmistakeable. Unless there was a prospect of her being able to live a relatively normal life, I was not to keep her “alive” — not under any circumstances.

I wept as I told the doctors to turn off the machines.

The Intensive Care Unit filled with silence.  Someone wrote notes.

I held Margaret as the monitor registered the time: 3.16 am.

Margaret had flat-lined. My wonderful Margaret was dead.

I have never stopped missing her.

* * *

Margaret and me in happier times — the Dalton Highway, Alaska, on Wednesday 7 September 2016.

* * *

A Tearful and Heartfelt Farewell

At 10.00 pm in Adelaide on Friday 11 September 2026 — last night, as I write this — my wonderful friend David Joseph Johnson died.

Dave was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in 2015. He had surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy, and was declared cured.

A few months after being “cured”, the cancer came back in Dave's lung. He had radiotherapy and was once again declared cured.

In January 2023, while Margaret was having her immunotherapy, the cancer returned on the left side of Dave's neck – right next to his carotid artery, making surgery impossible. Margaret and I discussed whether there was anything we could do to help him, but reluctantly we knew there was nothing.  Too many terrible things were happening in our own lives.

Dave moved into the spare room in my home shortly after Margaret died, and his friendship enabled me to crawl back into the world most people live in most of the time. Last night, cancer finally ended his heroic battle to live.

I kept my promise to Margaret. 

Dave gave me so much support and friendship when very few did. He kept the promise to me he never told me he had made.

You have not yet been gone 24 hours, Dave, and I miss you so much already. I especially miss your wisdom, your advice and your laughter.

Comments

Popular Posts