Blog 357 - 30 August 2026 - The Wedding Vows No One Heard
Margaret and I were
married three times in front of witnesses.
But none of those
ceremonies was our real wedding.
Our most important
wedding ceremony was the one to which nobody else was invited. There was no
celebrant. No family or friends. No photographer. No flowers, wedding clothes
or carefully chosen music.
There were only two
people – just Margaret and me.
And we were still in bed.
It was about seven
o’clock in the morning of Saturday, 22 March 2008. I had just woken and
Margaret was still asleep beside me, breathing softly. She was completely unaware something had
changed inside me.
That morning, Margaret
and I made promises to each other that nobody else would hear. They became the foundation of our remaining
life together - fifteen years.
I know our vows helped
keep Margaret alive through years of terrible illness when, on many occasions,
she probably should have died.
Before and after Margaret
died, the same promises were the major reason I remained alive.
The promises were our
sacred vows.
This is our story.
Margaret celebrating her
60th birthday in 2010.
Top photo - Margaret and me in about 1999. Next photo - Margaret in 2000 at Victor Harbor, south of Adelaide.
Margaret always adopted a
tough-woman exterior.
It deceived absolutely no
one.
Five seconds talking to
Margaret was always long enough to discover the extraordinarily kind and
generous woman she was.
That was Margaret.
When March 2008 began,
neither of us was looking for another marriage.
We had been living
together for almost ten years and had never discussed getting married.
There were very good
reasons for that.
Margaret had been married
three times before and e Each marriage had ended badly.
I had been married twice
before and both of mine had also ended badly.
Between us, we had enough
evidence to conclude that marriage was not be one of our particular talents.
But what Margaret and I
had were when we were together was so different. It worked.
We loved each other; we
were happy. We had built a joyous life together.
Why would we risk
changing it?
So, we didn't.
Until that Saturday
morning in March 2008.
Margaret and me. This
photograph was taken in about 1999.
In March 2008, Margaret
and I were both still working full time.
Margaret was a specialist
cancer nurse at Flinders Medical Centre in Adelaide, South Australia. Since
1982, she had been responsible for establishing and ensuring the smooth
operation of the Haematology and Oncology Day Unit.
Margaret spent her
working life caring for people facing cancer.
Long before I met her in
July 1998, she had lost her eyebrows as a consequence of preparing chemotherapy
treatments that were then administered to her patients.
I was still working full
time as a lawyer at a major law firm.
Our life together was
ordinary in many ways.
We worked; we came home; we
lived our lives.
And we loved each other.
By March 2008, Margaret's
health was still reasonably robust, although not quite as robust as it had been
ten years earlier when we first met.
Neither of us could
possibly have known what the next fifteen years would bring.
On Saturday, 22 March
2008, Margaret and I were still in bed at about seven o'clock in the morning.
I woke before her.
Margaret was sleeping
beside me.
I lay there listening to
her breathe.
And waves of love washed
over me.
My mind wandered back
through the failed marriages we had both experienced and then returned to the
life Margaret and I had shared every day since meeting in 1998.
Then something that
should have been obvious for years became clear to me.
I did not want a life
that did not contain Margaret.
I did not want to live in
a world in which Margaret did not live.
All my fear about another
marriage ending disastrously disappeared.
I knew I wanted to spend
every day of the rest of my life with this woman.
Now, being frightened of
making that commitment seemed so incredibly stupid.
I wanted Margaret to know
that there were no circumstances in which I would ever walk away from her.
I wanted to be able to
call Margaret my wife.
Most importantly, I
wanted her to know that I was her husband and would remain her husband for as
long as we both lived.
There was only one
problem.
Margaret was still
asleep.
So, I woke her up.
I had already worked out
how I was going to make the idea of marriage more attractive to her.
Ireland.
Margaret loved visiting
Ireland.
And I loved going
anywhere Margaret wanted to go.
I suggested that we
celebrate the love we had already shared for nearly ten years by getting
married there.
That woke her up.
I asked Margaret to marry
me.
She said yes.
It was the only answer I
wanted.
I held her tightly in my
arms and was so filled with joy.
But almost immediately, I
realised there was something I wanted to do before Ireland.
Before the ceremony.
Before the witnesses.
Before anybody else
became involved.
I asked Margaret whether
we could exchange our own wedding vows right there, while we were lying
together in each other's arms.
She agreed.
And so we did.
I vowed that for as long
as I had breath in my body, Margaret — and only Margaret — would be the centre
of my life.
Margaret vowed that for
as long as she had breath in her body, I — and only I — would be the centre of
hers.
I promised Margaret that
for as long as she lived, I would never commit adultery.
Margaret made the same
promise to me.
I promised that for as
long as Margaret lived, I would never separate from her and would never seek a
divorce.
Margaret promised that
for as long as she lived, she would never separate from me and would never seek
a divorce.
There were no witnesses.
Nobody applauded.
Nobody signed anything.
Nobody even knew what we
had done.
But Margaret and I knew.
And we both understood
exactly what those promises meant.
They were sacred.
More than a year later,
on 30 July 2009, Margaret and I publicly declared our love for each other in
two separate ceremonies at Killashee House in County Kildare in the Republic of
Ireland.
To everyone who attended,
those were our wedding ceremonies.
Only Margaret and I knew
differently.
We had already married
each other in the way that mattered most to us.
That had happened sixteen months earlier, in the privacy of our bedroom, when two people who had both experienced failed marriages decided that this time they would make promises they intended to keep for the rest of their lives.
Part of the gardens at
Killashee House, Naas, County Kildare. I took this photograph in 2019 when
Margaret and I returned to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary.
It had rained heavily in
Ireland throughout July 2009.
But on 30 July, at
Killashee House, it did not rain.
I believe there was a
reason for that.
God knew something nobody
attending our wedding knew except us.
Margaret and I had
already exchanged our sacred vows.
That day in Ireland was
our opportunity to declare publicly the love and commitment we had already
promised privately to each other.
Our Marriage Certificate
remains one of my treasured memories of Margaret.
It is written in both
Irish and English.
It is framed.
And it still hangs on the
wall of my bedroom.
Margaret on the morning
of Thursday, 30 July 2009, only a few minutes before we got into the taxi that
would take us to Killashee House to publicly exchange our vows.
Neither Margaret nor I
ever broke the vows we made to each other that Saturday morning in March 2008.
Not in deed.
Not in thought.
And something happened
because of that.
Our love became stronger.
Year after year, through
circumstances neither of us could have imagined when we first made those
promises, our love continued to deepen.
The vows that seemed so
simple while we lay together that morning eventually demanded much more from us
than either of us could possibly have understood at the time.
Between our exchange of
vows and our wedding, Margaret became terribly ill.
And she remained terribly
ill for fifteen years.
There were many times
when Margaret's health should have taken her from me.
There were also times
when my own health collapsed and my life should have ended.
Yet somehow, we
continued.
I know our love for each
other was an essential part of the reason.
And I know the sacred
promises we made that morning gave our love a strength it might otherwise never
have possessed.
When you promise another
person that you will remain beside her when life is good, the promise is easy.
You discover what the
promise actually means when life stops being good.
Margaret and I soon discovered exactly what our promises meant.
By August 2023, the woman
I had woken next to on that Saturday morning fifteen years earlier had endured
more pain than I would ever have wished another human being to endure.
By then, our lives were
completely different from the lives we had imagined when we exchanged those
vows.
But one thing had not
changed.
Margaret was still the
centre of my life.
And I was still her
husband.
On Tuesday, 22 August
2023, I was with Margaret in the Intensive Care Unit at Ashford Hospital.
I held her in my arms.
And I wept as she died.
The monitor beside
Margaret's bed said it was 3.16 am when her pain finally ended.
After so many years of
terrible suffering, Margaret was at last pain free.
When Margaret and I made
our vows in March 2008, I thought I understood what I was promising.
I didn't.
Neither of us could have.
We could not see the
fifteen years ahead of us. We could not see the hospitals, illness, fear, pain
or loss that would eventually test every word we had spoken.
We only knew that morning
that we loved each other.
And we made a promise to
each other.
Then we kept that promise.
Margaret kept her sacred
vows to me until the final moments of her life.
I still keep the vows I
made to her.
The love between us was
stronger when Margaret died than it had been on that morning when we promised
ourselves to each other fifteen years earlier.
Death ended Margaret's
pain.
But it did not end what
those vows mean to me.
And it did not end our
story.
In the Blogs that follow,
I will tell more of that story — and explain why I believe the promises
Margaret and I made to each other when nobody else was listening, helped keep
both of us alive long after either of us should have been.
Because sometimes the
most important promises we make are not the ones the world hears.
They are the ones we
keep.
Comments
Post a Comment